Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Courtesy of my stomach virus: a recipe for homemade ginger ale

1 1/2 c. sliced fresh ginger
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 (1-liter) bottles club soda or plain seltzer, chilled

Combine ginger (don’t bother to peel it), sugar, and 1 1/2 c. water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Lower heat and simmer mixture about 15 minutes, or until it reaches the consistency of pancake syrup (you should have about 1 c. syrup). Strain syrup and cool to room temperature. Stir in lemon juice. Place 2 T. syrup in 8-oz. glasses and fill 3/4 full with club soda. Gently stir to blend. Add ice and more club soda or syrup if necessary.

We just returned from a cruise yesterday that we went on with Grandma and Grandpa, or as Ben calls them, "Pa." (Michael and I call them Pa: the Collective.) More soon on the trip when I'm feeling better. Christmas preparations are getting away from me!

4 comments:

CandOsMom said...

Oh no! And I bugged you on the phone twice... so sorry!
Can't wait to hear more about the trip.
Feel better!

Keri said...

Not at all. I was feeling much better yesterday, plus you were calling about gifts for Ben! Don't be crazy.

CandOsMom said...

Holy schmoly that new pic of Ben is cute. Frighteningly cute.

CandOsMom said...

Oh, and... wanting homemade ginger ale sans preliminary puking. (Also, I'm laughing because my word verification for this comment is "pugullyp" which reminds me of polyp, which makes my stomach hurt, which makes me want to make homemade ginger ale).